Meandering

Friday, January 10, 2014

Tree Dancing

It's January 9th. I know my tree is "supposed" to be down by now. I get it. But for me, when I take down the Christmas tree each year, it feels like I'm pulling away from Disney World at the end of the most magical vacation and I'm watching the fireworks from the ferry and I'm just not quite ready to leave. Like maybe I need to stay right there in the magic just one more hour, one more day, one more lifetime. 
Truth is, I never want the magic to end as a day at Disney comes to a close or a whole month of Christmas ends. So I linger in the moments and pray with all my might that the memories light up my soul til I come back next year. That I'll remember the wrapping paper on the floor and the soups on the stove, the babies snuggled on our shoulders and the warm by the fire. The hugs from my grandma and the light in Josh's eyes. It was a long year of pain, but something special happened at Christmas when we slowed down and shared time and love with those most dear. 
So before we take down the ornaments in tomorrow morning's light, I met this sweet man by the tree and danced through tears as we bid goodbye to another Christmas season, another year of heartaches and triumphs. We kissed and laughed and cried, and with all my heart, I did my best to soak it all in. I don't know what this year holds. Probably some heart ache and probably some pain. Hopefully good laughter and likely a few tears. But all I'll ask as I lay down on my pillow tonight is that God will give us another day, another moment like this one. Where we dance in the splendor of the tree light amidst all of our chaos. Another moment or season filled with such magic and sweetness that it makes saying goodbye nearly impossible. And yet, we will do it. Because the moment we see the castle or the mouse, the moment we put up the tree (in 320ish days) is worth every minute of the longing in between. And you know what our plan is for the year? To keep dancing anyway. Even when there's no fireworks and no tree. I have a hunch that in 2014, that same Disney/Christmas magic might just be lurking in the most unexpected places if only we will look closely...

No comments:

Post a Comment