Meandering

Saturday, July 21, 2012

The Introduction


            I have always assumed that I would never be a blogger. Don’t get me wrong. I love blogs. I check my sister-in-laws’ blogs every day. But me? Nah. I speak out loud. But for some reason, it’s all that I’ve thought about this week. Even about an hour ago while I was in the shower, I was writing my first blog in my head. And then my second one and maybe even my third... So I think I should blog.
            I really enjoy writing. Some people probably think it’s nerdy, and maybe you’re even right, but I think it’s fun. And I just have had so many thoughts in my head over the last couple of years that I think it’s causing traffic jams and maybe even be why I can’t remember names well lately... (Interesting. I’ve never thought that thought until just now, but I bet that’s it! Fantastic. I officially have something to blame my memory loss on! See, I knew I needed to blog.)
            Aaaanyway, though I love to write, there has always been one part of it that is like a Winnie the Pooh little black rain cloud that looms over every piece I have ever written. And that, my friend, is what we formerly know as “The Introduction.” I hate introductions. They hang over my head and scare me for days at a time. In college, it was why I would put off papers until the very last second and be up until 4 am the night before it was due and then be getting up the next morning at 6 am to finish it and print it so I could get to my 8 am class. Ridiculous, I know, but this is who I am. A lot of times, I would even call my mom, tell her what my paper was about, and have her write the first sentence of the first paragraph out loud for me so that I could get my introductory paragraph started. I’m scared of introductions. I want them to perfectly personify the piece that I am about to write, be it an article or a paper or perhaps even... a blog.
            And you know what? It almost got me again. I almost didn’t start this blog at all because I thought the introductory post had to be spot on perfect and that you had to have the best impression of my writing and of myself and of what was to come as we share in each other’s journeys. But here’s what I’m learning about papers, about blogs, about relationships, about marriage, and maybe even about God. Sometimes you just gotta get the introduction going. Sometimes it will perfectly portray all that is to come. Sometimes it will be NOTHING LIKE the beauty that is to come. And sometimes, all you have to do is write it.
            So now I blog. And this is my introduction.

No comments:

Post a Comment